Each of us knows how to spend money, but do we really know how to save our money? No, I am not necessarily talking about setting aside funds for an investments purposes – a good thing – but saving money on everyday items. Here are seven simple ways you can save money:
1. Use Appliances That Are Energy Efficient. Chances are your old refrigerator or washer is a pig on fuel. When shopping for a new unit, make sure that the energy rating is high. However, do not pay hundreds of extra dollars for a product if only a slightly higher energy rating is achieved. Instead, find out which model gives you the highest possible energy rating for the buck.
2. Click Coupons. You can save money on shopping by clipping coupons. Many stores will even double or triple manufacturers' coupons up to a certain amount as an added "come on" to get you to shop.
3. Shop The Wholesale Clubs. BJs, Sam's Club, and Costco all offer savings generally 10-30% lower than the supermarkets. They take coupons too.
4. Get Free Samples. Manufacturers enjoy giving away samples of their products. Sometimes all it takes is a letter or an email to the appropriate department and your freebie will arrive in the mail in the form of a product or as a coupon allowing you to purchase the item locally for free.
5. Go To The Library. Barnes and Noble and Borders offer a wide selection of books to their customers. However, you may be able to find that same title at your free public library. If not, ask a librarian if they would order the book for you. Hey, a free book is better than the $ 25 you will pay for a bestseller!
6. Shop And Compare. The internet allows consumers the opportunity to shop and compare on almost any product sold anywhere. Find the best price and order online if the items is cheaper than ordering in person. Do not forget to take into consideration shipping, handling, and taxes when ordering via the web!
7. Reuse And Recycle. Chances are the item you are throwing away can be used again. If you definitely have no use for the item sell it at a garage sale and pocket the procedures. In any case, you are contributing to a sound environment by not sending your unused good to the trash dump.
There are countless ways for you to save even beyond these seven. You need not be a skinflint to reap true benefits either, so start with these seven and come up with another seven ways for you to save too.