CrÃ¨me de la crÃ¨me – PSL Construction has won the Auckland regional Master Builders Supreme New Home Award for this grand, resort-style homestead in Dairy Flat.
A large resort-style home with its own helicopter hangar has caught the eye of judges in the Auckland regional Master Builders House of the Year Awards.
PSL Construction won the Supreme New Home Award for the 2400 square-metre house in Dairy Flat, which took three years to build. The company also won the Resene New Home over $2 million category and the Craftsmanship Award for the project.
The house comprises three large wings, with the main living areas in the north wing opening out to an expansive outdoor entertaining area with swimming pool. And it was the exterior finishing that really impressed the judges.
In announcing the award, they described the project as an “exceptional build” that “pipped the nearest rivals”.
* Post-earthquake build replicates grand homestead and wins major Master Builders award
* Huge complex build is first Master Builders House of the Year regional winner
* Home on the lake takes Mid and South Canterbury House of the Year
“Consistency across such a huge build is difficult to achieve, especially when having to work with such variable materials, which include the innovative white concrete, and terrazzo paving. Achieving these finishes throughout a three-year time frame is a special achievement.”
Key features of the luxurious interior include fibrous plaster coffered ceilings and beautiful timber flooring. At either end of the house curved timber stairs beneath large skylights lead to the bedroom wing in the east, and the home office wing to the west.
All rooms are served by a full HVAC system that is integrated with the home automation. The house even has an emergency generator that kicks in during power cuts. It shares space in the helicopter hangar.
The Supreme Renovation Award and Bunnings Renovation Award over $1 million were won by Marty van der Burg Builders for a large project in Manukau Central.
The judges said the original house needed expanding and modernising, but the existing configuration meant recladding and re-roofing was “not a job for the faint-hearted”.
“This was a challenging renovation which resulted in tasteful living areas added to the interior and exterior. The workmanship provides a consistency to the detailing that modernises the home, while retaining that familiar charm from the past.
The judges also said the trademark Don Nelson-designed sweeping curves required craftspeople of the highest order. “The resulting house will preserve this unique extravagance for decades to come.”
- Master Craft Construction, winner of the Renovation Award $500,000 – $1 million category, for a home in Auckland
- Page and Daley Builders, winner of the New Home $1.5 million – $2 million category, for a home in Auckland
- North Coromandel Builders, winner of the Carters New Home $1 million – $1.5 million category, for a home in Whangapoua
- Navigation Homes North Harbour, winner of the Altus Window Systems New Home $750,000 – $1 million category, for a home Auckland
- Sentinel Homes – North & West Auckland, winner of the New Home $600,000 – $750,000 category, for a home in Auckland
- Sentinel Homes – North & West Auckland, winner of the New Home $450,000 – $600,000 category, for a home in Auckland
- Cove Construction, winner of the New Home up to $450,000 category, for a home in Cooks Beach
- Maddren Homes, winner of the Builder’s Own Home Award, for a home in Auckland.
- Eden Homes, winner of the GIB Show Home Award, for a home in Auckland
- Legendary Homes, winner of the Volume/Group Housing New Home $450,000 – $750,000 category, for a home in Auckland
- Maddren Homes, winner of the Volume/Group Housing New Home up to $450,000 category, for a home in Auckland
- Ashcroft Homes, winner of the Master Build 10 year Guarantee Multi Unit (Apartments/Duplexes/Terrace Housing) New Home category, for a home in Auckland
- Oliver Tuck Construction, winner of the Outdoor Living Excellence Award, for a home in Waipu
- Pitch Construction, winner of the Plumbing World Bathroom Excellence Award, for a home in Auckland
- Ninety 45, winner of the Kitchen Excellence Award, for a home in Auckland
- Glover Homes, winner of the PDL by Schneider Electric Smart Home Award, for a home in Auckland
- Harrison Lane, winner of the APL Sustainable Excellence Award, for a home in Auckland
Three houses took top honours in the 2019 Registered Master Builders House of the Year Awards.