Common Tests for Fertility in Men and Women

So you and your partner are eager to conceive your first born. However, try as you might, nothing has happened. It's been months and close to a year and still, no baby is on the way.

That could be a sign of infertility and you and your partner need to take the tests for fertility.

Couples experiencing conception problem is anything but new. In fact, 12 percent of the reproductive age population is affected by infertility and approximately 7.3 million women and their partners in America are struggling to conceive. That is a staggering figure and it will continue to rise in the years to come if nothing can be done to minimize if not prevent the rampancy of the situation.

Fact is, both men and women are affected by infertility and it's only fair that both should take the tests for fertility.

Here are the common tests for fertility in women:

  • A blood test can be done to check the levels of your hormones. Hormones are important helpers of ovulation and fertilization. When your hormone levels are irregular, your fertility status can be at risk.
  • A 'dye test' or known as the Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is one of the tests for fertility where a dye is infected into the uterus and check to see if your fallopian tubes are clear and free from any abnormal growths. This can be done with the help of an x-ray machine.
  • An operation to check for the development of endometriosis can be done and it is called Laparoscopy or Lap. An incision will be made on your navel and pubic hairline to check if there are any adhesions or malformations that are present.

Here are the common tests for fertility in men:

  • A laboratory test called Sperm Agglutination is done to check if there is an occurrence of sperm clumping. When sperms are clumped or bundled together, motility is affected and sperms can not swim rapidly.
  • A testicular biopsy is an option to examine the tubules in the testes and check if it is producing good quality sperm.
  • Another one of the tests for fertility in men is called the Ultrasonography. This will help point out if any blockage is occurring in the reproductive tract including the prostate, seminal vesicles and ejaculatory ducts.
  • If you are curious to find out if your sperm is capable of penetrating an egg, then you can undergo a sperm penetration assay. This is done with the help of a hamster egg. The male's sperm is tested by its penetrating ability. This test is no longer commonly used these days.

If you suspect that you or your partner could be infertile, try the common tests for fertility to help put your mind at ease. This is also important so that you will be able to determine what methods to employ to correct your infertility problem if proven to have any.

Exit mobile version